Hello everyone!  I hope your weekend is off to a great start!  I just wanted to take a few moments here and check in with a quick update.

I am now eleven days post – op and things are going well, for the most part.  On Tuesday of this week I finally graduated from a liquid diet to a pureed foods diet.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, my meals consisted of the following:  Breakfast – 1 scrambled egg with a slice of cheese (melted); Lunch – 1/2 cup of cottage cheese; Supper – 1/2 cup of refried beans with shredded cheese and for an evening snack a 1/2 cup of pudding with 2 tsp of peanut butter (um this stuff is yummy!!!!).  Last night I had probably the worst experience I’ve had so far with this whole new diet and way of eating – call it a “growing pain” if you will.  For supper yesterday evening, I fixed my usual refried beans with cheese and I thought I would add some flavoring to it.  So, I had some packets of mild Taco Bell sauce (which I LOVED pre-surgery).  I read the ingredients and thought I would be safe in putting one packet on my ever-so-small helping of dinner.  Unfortunately, whatever was in that sauce made me feel horrible the rest of the night.  I had THE WORST stomach ache ever known to man, I think.  I actually had to take some pain medicine to settle my stomach and repeat again after four hours.  I was doing so well trying to get off the pain meds, until that happened last night.  Oh my!  I can’t even describe the pain I experienced – but it was horrible!  I think about midnight last night I started feeling a tad better – but all thanks to the pain medication for knocking me out for the night.  So now I know that I can no longer handle TB Mild Sauce.  😦  I am in mourning in the death of some of my favorite foods.  It’s all starting to become a reality now about what I can and cannot have anymore.  I don’t ever regret my decision to have this surgery because I’m already seeing results.  So this is a slow process and retraining your mind on what to eat, how to eat, when to eat, etc.   I just hope that I don’t experience that type of pain ever again!  Unfortunately, until I figure out what my body can and can’t handle, I have a feeling I’ll experience it a few more times.  It’s all part of it though.

There is a possibility that I have become lactose intolerant – even though pre-surgery I LOVED milk too.  Tonight, my mom and I went to the store and I bought some Silk Soy Milk to try to see if that too would help the yucky feeling I have been getting in my stomach.  I also bought some Quaker Instant Oatmeal Weight Control to try as well.  I didn’t used to be a big oatmeal fan, but when I saw the flavors on the front of the box, it just sounded good.  So this evening I had Banana Bread Instant Oatmeal made with soy milk and I must say that my stomach hasn’t hurt once since having dinner.  Which reminds me, I need to take a break here, and get my third round (of four) of vitamin supplements down.  Be right back………..Ok I’m back.

I did have my first follow-up appointment this week.  The doctor (or the physician’s assistant rather) is super-impressed with my progress so far.  All of my incisions are looking really good and she is pleased with the amount of protein I’m getting a day.  She is already challenging me to do a marathon and has already said she’ll be hounding me, so to speak, about it too.  LOL.  Great!  Bring it on!  I need to be pushed like that.  It’s one of the reasons why I love IU Health – the people really do care about me as a patient.  I’m not just another number.   Anyway, they did say that it looks like I will be headed back to work in a couple of weeks.  As of this coming Tuesday, my 10lb weight restriction will be lifted and I can start doing activities as usual, well as much as I am able/comfortable with.  I still am having to build up strength and stamina, but I’ll get there.  My next appointment is scheduled for December and I hope to have lost quite a bit more weight by the time that day comes around.

Speaking of weight – I know I posted in my previous post what my starting weight was and where I was at.  However, I left out a couple of details.  First of all, my clothing size.  When I was at my heaviest, I was wearing a size 30/32 Women’s (4X).  And today I’m down to a 20/22 (2X).  It’s been a great feeling being able to clean out my closet and bless someone that could use them.  But I noticed today just how small my ankles are getting.  It’s a big difference!  Eight months ago, my ankles were probably twice the size they are now and they always hurt at night and my feet were always swollen.  It made shoe shopping a dreadful experience.  I hated shoe shopping!  The other night I tried on a pair of regular shoes (as in no wide-width) and THEY FIT!!!  The other thing I’ve noticed physically is my fingers aren’t as chubby either.  They’re still chubby, but the fact that my ring on my right hand slips off VERY easy is definitely a sign that I’m getting smaller.  Oh and this whole surgery has made me stop biting my nails too!  lol  I don’t know, but it just has.  So now I’m starting to get some length to my finger nails and my hands might actually look nice for a change.  It’s little things like that are becoming a reality and it’s hard to not get excited about it.  Some people may think I’m weird in that I get excited because my ankles are smaller.  But I personally am starting to see what weight loss is doing to me.  But for those of you who want a visual of just what eight months have done to me, take a look:

As of today I am down SIXTY-SEVEN pounds!!!!!  Only 33 more pounds to go and I will hit the 100 mark!  Oh what a day that will be!  Right now I’m losing about 1-2 pounds a day.  So hopefully by New Year’s Eve I will have hit a HUGE milestone!  🙂

Well, I think that’s all for now.  It’s about time for the love of my life to call me for our daily evening chat.  He has been such a trooper through this and I fall in love with him more and more every day!  ILYKLS!  I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and if I don’t write before next Thursday – have a wonderful Thanksgiving!  🙂