Well hello everyone!  So a lot has happened since the last time I wrote.  I’m going to try and get my thoughts put on here before my pain medication kicks in and knocks me out.  LOL

So Monday was the big day!  My surgery was scheduled for 11:00 a.m. and I think it was around 12 or 12:30 before I went back to the operating room.  I was there at 9:00 a.m. for all of the prep stuff they had to do before surgery.  There was a point though, I almost backed out.  I had thoughts racing through my mind of “What was I doing?” and “Did I make the right decision?”  and  “Am I ready for what’s about to happen?”  But then I realized just how far I had come in 8 months and I was not about to take the easy way out.  I’m in this thing all the way!  That demon was NOT going to win this battle.  So, off to surgery I went.

Before I went to surgery though, a cool thing happened.  My doctor came in just before my surgery to talk to me, answer any last minute questions, and give my boyfriend and parents a run-down of what the “schedule” looked like for the day.  My dad asked the doctor if he minded if we prayed over the surgery and without hesitation he said absolutely.  So there we were – my boyfriend, my parents, and my doctor – all joined in a circle as my dad prayed.  I think it was just so neat to see just how great of doctor I had.  I think that whole experience is what calmed my nerves and I went into that operating room full of confidence.  I was at peace with my decision.

So fast forward to after surgery – my doctor met with my boyfriend and parents and told them that everything went great and even showed them pictures of what he did and answered any questions they had.  My boyfriend was supposed to be able to come back and see me for about 10 minutes while I was in recovery but that didn’t happen and I think I know why.  It was not a fun ride coming out of the anesthesia and I can remember how painfully horrible it was!  I felt like I was being ripped out from one side to the other, I was nauseous, and apparently I did puke everywhere and they had to clean me up.  I was not doing well so I think that’s why they decided not to let anyone come back.  But they got my pain under control and before I knew it I was in my own personal room and everyone was in my room.  And so my recovery began.  Within two hours after getting to my room, they had me up walking.  I think I walked like 10 feet but that was about all I could do.  So for the next 60 some hours that what my life was – walking every two hours along with a potty break when I was awake, sleeping {well} after pain meds, getting two shots a day in the stomach which was a blood thinner, and numerous times of getting my vitals checked.  I had hoped to get on here and post an update, but I instead kept my updates short and on Facebook.  I was able to come home on Wednesday afternoon, and boy was I ever so glad to be home.

I have to say though that I am highly impressed with IU North hospital and IU Health in general.  I had the most wonderful nurses the entire time I was there and I had the same nurses the entire time I was there.  So it wasn’t like I had a different nurse every 8-12 hours.  I had three nurses that knew my “history” and took excellent care of me.  My doctor came in twice to see me as did the head nurse (I think that’s what she is).  There were a few other people that came in to my room with different information all at different times during my stay.  Overall my experience there was fantastic and I am so happy with my choice to go with IU Health.

So now here’s where it gets a bit {more} personal.  When I started this blog back in March, I never told anyone what my starting weight was.  The only ones that knew that information were the people at IU Health and myself.  I intentionally wanted to wait until after I had my surgery before I revealed that information.  My weight is something that is a bit personal to me and I was so ashamed to admit where I was because it was the highest weight I had ever been.  But you know what – that number is gone….for good.  I want to share this information for a couple of reasons.  One because I know I will never see that number again – I won’t let it happen.  Secondly, I want people to understand just how close I was to having a lot of health issues as I got older.  I don’t think people truly understand just how bad I was until you see the numbers.  So without further ado – here is there person I was and where I am now and where I hope to be in about a year:

Where I was:  March 2011

  •  Height: 5ft 3in
  • Weight:  315 lbs
  • BMI:  55.8

Where I am now:  November 2011

  • Height:  5ft 3 in
  • Weight: 258 lbs
  • BMI: 45.7

Where I want to be a year from now:  November 2012

  • Height:  5ft 3 in
  • Weight:  140 lbs (or less)
  • BMI:  24.8 (or less)

So according to today’s standards I am morbidly obese, basically a walking time bomb before something major medically could have happened.  I’ve dropped 13.1 “points” in just 8 months with another 21 points to go.  Yes, I was exceptionally healthy even at 315 but I could tell that my health was starting to go downhill just by the way I felt.  I’m still in the obese category, but I know it won’t be for long.  It was a wake-up call when I saw those numbers 3-1-5 appear on that scale.  It was mortifying to say the least.  It was not a shining moment for me, it was more like rock bottom.  I had hit a lowest point in my life at the highest weight I’d ever been.   But the old Stacey is going away and the new, healthier Stacey is on her way.  It’s baby steps and I know I’ll get there eventually.

This journey is just beginning, really.  And now I can say that I am excited to see what happens over the next several months.  I AM going to persevere even on days when I want to give up.  IU Health’s motto is “The Strength It Takes” and lucky for me, I get to see that every morning on my way to work.  And it’s true – the strength it takes to get through this journey is a lot.  It’s not for the weak.  But I have a great support system in place both at home and at the bariatric center.  I’ve purposely cleared my calendar for the next several months so that I can focus my energy on my new life.  And I really cannot express just what I feel inside – but I know I am excited.

I want to again thank everyone for all of your prayers, thoughts, well-wishes, text messages, visits, and everything in between for not only my journey before the surgery but during my surgery and hospital stay as well.  Before I started this blog entry, I was just reading through my wall on Facebook and I got a bit emotional to see how my supporters I had out there.  I know it’s just Facebook and all, but it’s just so encouraging to me to see all of the support I do have out there.  Saying thank you just doesn’t seem like enough.  I love you all!

Well, I am about done for, for the evening.  I’ll be taking some more pain medication here soon after I get up and walk again and I’m sure I’ll be out like a light for a while, lol.  I hope that everyone has a great weekend!  🙂